Pasta with Sun Dried Tomatoes

Thursday 10 July 2014

 photo SAM_5562_zps4f941412.jpg

This is a delicious salad that I used to make for the Mr when I worked at the Manor.  It was a real favourite with him.  He just loved it.

 photo SAM_5564_zps8a92dd07.jpg

Suffice it to say I made it so often at work, at least every couple of weeks (it was a frequent request) that I never ever actually made it for us to enjoy at home.  I did get to taste it at work.  (A cook who doesn't taste as she goes along isn't a real cook, I don't think!)

 photo SAM_5565_zpsebea824c.jpg

The Mr used to love heating it up.  Me, I love it cold.  The Toddster, well . . .  not a pasta fan.  He tolerates it.  He doesn't complain, but . . . I know he hates pasta and so I am just glad he doesn't say anything at all!

 photo SAM_5567_zps1b123d5f.jpg

There is so much to love about this however . . . from it's tangy spiced tomato dressing (which I make short work of by using  my Froothie Optimum 9400 Blender .  It does an excellent job!)  to all of those lovely chunks of tomato, sun dried tomato, olives and cheese . . .   

 photo SAM_5568_zpsf97cf25f.jpg  

It's a recipe I adapted from a recipe used by Ina Garten . . .  and she adapted it from a recipe used by Brent Newson, and we have each of us added our stamp to it.  That's what a good recipe is made of I think . . .  little stamps here and little stamps there, all adding up to a uniquely delicious result!  

 photo SAM_5570_zps4aff20af.jpg  

*Pasta with Sun Dried Tomatoes*
Serves 6 to 8
Printable Recipe

A deliciously summer pasta salad adapted from a recipe by Ina Garten, who adapted it from a recipe by Brent Newson.  That's how it goes with recipes!  We each like to put our own stamp on them!

1/2 pound of dry fusilli pasta
fine sea salt 
olive oil
1 pound of ripe vine tomatoes, seeds discarded and diced
70g pouch pitted dry black olives with herbs, quartered  (I like the ones by Crespo  3/4 cup)
1 pound of fresh mozzarella cheese, diced (I use the low fat one)
6 sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained and chopped

For the dressing:
5 sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained
2 TBS good balsamic vinegar
6 TBS good olive oil
1 small clove of garlic, peeled and chopped
1 tsp pickled capers, drained
1 heaped tsp of flaked sea salt
3/4 tsp coarse black pepper

To finish:
180g of good Parmesan cheese, finely grated (1 cup)
a handful of fresh basil leaves, cut chiffonade
(Roll tightly into a cigar shape and cut crosswise into thin slivers with some kitchen scissors)  

 photo SAM_5575_zps91884600.jpg

Cook the pasta according to the package directions in a large pot of boiling salted water to which you have added a splash of oil.   When done, drain well and rise with cold water.  Drain again.  Set aside until cold.

Place all of the ingredients for the dressing into a blender or a food processor.  Blitz until  smooth.  Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.  (My froothie does this really quickly with excellent results!)

Put the chopped olives, tomatoes, cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and pasta into a large bowl   Add the dressing and toss to coat.   Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and basil.  Toss well and serve.  


I love, LOVE this versatile machine.  I know you are probably getting tired of hearing about it, but I am just so thrilled with it I can't stop telling you about it.  To find out more about this beautiful machine do check out the Froothie Homepage.   To find out more about the specifications of it and just what it can do,  remember it's not just a blender.  Of course if you are as impressed as I am with what I do with mine you can just buy one now.With a one month trial, money back guarantee which includes return postage costs from the UK, you can't lose!

5 comments

  1. Have a very similar recipe we love..For years and years! My girls serve it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are the best kinds of recipes Monique! I never actually made it for myself the whole time I worked at the Manor. Now I don't have to make it for them, I thought it was about time I made it for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say YES to this recipe! Thanks! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Valerie! It IS really good! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. We ate this one for dinner tonight. We both love pasta and I'm always looking for a new way to present it, just for some variety. This was delicious and so easy to make. Like you, we prefer it hot, but there is some left over, so I shall try it cold tomorrow and see how I like it.

    It's amazing that a few simple ingredients can combine into such a tasty dish. We ate this with a simple tossed green salad on the side and thought it was great. It's ideal to have in summer when tomatoes are at their absolute best - full of flavour. Big thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!