Marie's Best Corn Chowder

Thursday 14 August 2014

 photo SAM_6507_zpsdd99b08e.jpg

Continuing on with my week of celebrations, I just have to share with you one of my favourite soup/stews!  Corn Chowder!   This is a hearty family favourite that I have been making for my family and myself for many, many years.  It is a tried and true!

  photo SAM_6500_zpsb24f14db.jpg

It is chock full of vegetables . . .  potatoes (of course!) celery, onions, carrots . . . and of course bacon.  I use pancetta these days because I like the flavour of it, but you can use just ordinary bacon.  I like the thicker cut bacon, and if you are lucky enough to be able to find home smoked bacon, then you are in for a real treat!




 photo SAM_6503_zps0029da0e.jpg

I use chicken stock, but you can just as easily use vegetable stock, or even just water.  The important thing is you want to cover the vegetables with this so that they become fork tender.  Not mushy, but tender and sweet.   I add herbs . . .  thyme and parsley.  These go so well with the sweetness of the corn.

 photo SAM_6502_zpscb6200d3.jpg

I cheat and use a can of creamed corn, which gives it a nice thickness . . .  and of course a nob of butter also adds to the richness.  Sometimes I feel like being really naughty and I use a big knob of butter!  Soooo good!   I like mine with crumbled crackers.  The Toddster, he always wants a crusty roll with his.  Either way it is delicious!  Simple and easy to make.   Tasty and a real family pleaser.

 photo SAM_6498_zpse4defd2a.jpg


*Marie's Best Corn Chowder*
Serves 4 

An old family favourite which I have been making for many years.  It was really hard to put it down on paper as I have only just done it off the top of my head, but I have managed to get it done just for you! ☺  


100g cubes of pancetta (about 1/2 cup) (Italian bacon, or you can use thick streaky bacon, chopped)
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 long stick of celery, trimmed and chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried parsley
4 medium white potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
500ml of chicken stock (2 cups)
1 (400g) creamed corn (14 oz tin)
1 tin of whole milk
a nob of butter
salt and black pepper to taste    

Heat a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add the cubes of pancetta,  Cook, stirring occasionall, until most of the fat has been released and the bacon is crisp.   Add the onions, celery and carrots.   Allow to sweat for about 10 minutes without browning.   Add the stock and potatoes, along with the thyme and parsley.  Bring to the boil.  Cover and simmer over low heat until the potatoes are tender.   Add the creamed corn and whole milk.  Heat through.   Season to taste with salt and black pepper.  Add the nob of butter.  Allow to melt and then serve hot with plenty of crackers or crusty bread!


NOTE - By tin of milk, I mean you take the empty creamed corn tin and fill it with milk.

12 comments

  1. The little bowl..I have told you before..but am saying again..love..
    The soup suits it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm, comfort food! Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's Greengate Monique. I have two of the bowls and the polka dot plates to match. I wish now I had bought more! I love anything Greengate! xx

    Valerie, when you come over here we will do comfort food together! What a lovely thought! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. For sure! That is my idea of heaven on earth Marie! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to make this but I have no idea what a 'tin' of whole milk is. Can you help?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to make this but I have no idea what a 'tin' of whole milk is. Can you help?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am in US and also don't know what a TIN of whole milk would be. A can? How large a can? Or something else? Thank you in anticipation. Mona

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought you might enjoy this too Valerie! ;-) xx

    Amelia, tin is another word for can. You simply take the creamed corn can and fill it up with whole (Homogenized) milk and use that as the measure, which would be 400g of 14 ounces same as the corn.

    Ramona, I give the size of the tin in the recipe. It is a 14 ounce size. Tin=can

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you will all make it and like it as much as we do! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will make it this weekend and thank you for the clarification!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Marie. I love corn chowder. However, where I live now, you can not buy creamed corn. So, do I add cream with a tin of kernel corn? Thank you for your help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would blitz the corn just to release all the juices and break it up a bit. Use a large tin for lots of corn flavour and then just add cream to make up the amount to the same as the normal tin size. Hope this helps Cindi! Let me know how you get on! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!