Oven Fried Chicken

Thursday 6 November 2014

 photo SAM_7844_zpsc648f2af.jpg

I confess I am a really naughty girl and I just adore fried chicken.  Thankfully it is not something which we have very often, even though I do love it so, and I find that more often than not we have it in the form of this oven fried chicken, which isn't necessarily less fattening, but a lot less trouble.  I think it's every bit as tasty.   Seriously.  My kids used to love it when I made this when they were growing up.

 photo SAM_7840_zps1b434e81.jpg

I got a craving for it the other day.  I don't think I had made this even once in the 14+ years I have lived here in the UK, so you know it's only a rare treat with me, but boy oh boy . . .  did I ever enjoy this!  The Toddster did too.

He says his pants are getting too tight.   Hmm . . .  I wonder why.

 photo SAM_7843_zps30e7177f.jpg

This recipe is a lot less trouble, a lot less messy and very tasty.   The other day I thought it actually tasted like KFC, but that could just be me.  I haven't had that demon in a very long time either!

 photo SAM_7850_zps48d42dc9.jpg

It's delicious.  It's moist.   I think you will like it.   I used drumsticks and thighs.  Coz we be really bad and like the dark meat done this way best of all.  And yes . . . .  I did eat two pieces.  In for a penny . . .  in for a pound.

  photo SAM_7845_zpsa66b1123.jpg 

*Oven Fried Chicken*
Serves 5  
 

This is delicious. I don't really think it's any better for you than the deep fried, kind, but once in a blue moon it makes a really tasty treat!  It's even good cold.  I usually leave the skin on, but you can remove the skin prior to dipping and coating if you wish. 
 

75g of butter (1/3 cup)
78ml of vegetable oil (1/3 cup)
140g of plain flour (1 cup)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
10 pieces of chicken 
 


Preheat the oven to  190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5.  Have ready a large rimmed baking sheet.  Put the oil and butter on the baking sheet and set it in the oven to melt the butter while the oven heats up and you get the chicken ready. 
 

Place all of the dry ingredients into a plastic bag, shaking them together to mix. 
 

Remove the baking pan from the oven.  Roll the chicken pieces, one at a time, in the melted butter and oil, then shake them in the bag of seasoned flour to coat.  Set them on a piece of wax paper until you have them all coated.   Once they are all coated, place them presentation side down in the melted butter/oil in the pan, leaving some space in between each. 
 

Bake in the heated oven for 45 minutes.  Flip the chicken over and bake for a further 15 minutes, until crisp and golden brown. 

10 comments

  1. Thanks Monique, and very tasty too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I try not to fry as well, But chicken....

    Curious as to what spices you used.

    Looks sooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie ! This chicken look amazing!
    Love the color!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tea lady, I used dried mixed herbs, which is a combination of parsley, rosemary, basil, marjoram, thyme and coriander. They come already mixed. It is really tasty chicken!

    Thanks Gloria, it is quite amazing really! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Incredibly scrumptious!! My Mom would fry hers in bacon fat then bake it, oh boy was it ever good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh Mary Anne, that sounds positively heavenly! *gulp*

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks really good....can't remember the last time I had fried chicken either home made or from a certain take away! The only thing you could do to make it slightly healthier would be to take the skin off first, then coat and "fry" it. Not quite so yummy but slightly better for the heart!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a very rare treat around here as well Sandie, the stuff from a certain take away! Even this is a rare treat. This was the first time I had made it since I moved over here! So once in fourteen years! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds delicious French Toast! You're welcome!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!