Black Bean Lasagne

Friday 27 February 2015

 photo DSCN0648_zpsp1mrw9w2.jpg

This is an easy Vegetarian dish I have had on my list of things to make for a very long time.  I can't even remember where it came from now.   I think possibly it was a Pillsbury recipe, but I can't say for sure.  In any case it I finally got it made the other day and it wasn't half bad!

 photo DSCN0649_zpsbgqaxatb.jpg

It was easy and quick to make, and very hearty with the beans.   We didn't miss the meat at all.  If I do it again, however . . .  I will use two tins of beans.  I thought one wasn't quite beany enough . . .   I might even be tempted to add another type of bean, like maybe a Pinto with the black.  Or even a tin of refried beans.  Now, that would rock.

  photo DSCN0651_zpsamfq3gab.jpg

Also I used a mild salsa and I wanted a bit more kick to next time I will use a zestier one, with a bit more punch.  Mixing it with the tinned tomatoes waters it down more than a bit, so go for a medium or a hot, depending on how you like spice.

 photo DSCN0654_zps2kxn2abw.jpg

You want to season it really well and don't skimp on the garlic or the cheese.   I would probably add a bit more than the recipe calls for.  I think some black olives would be a nice addition also, but only if you like them.

  photo DSCN0657_zpsy0p3nqw2.jpg

I know it sounds like I would change a lot, but really I wouldn't . . .  those are just suggestions.  On the whole it was a great basic recipe that I feel you could improvise with and play with a bit to make it even better.   I hope you'll give it a go with my suggestions on board!

 photo DSCN06481_zpsur1o5tpz.jpg


*Black Bean Lasagne*
Serves 6 - 8


A delicious vegetarian lasagne, with spicy tex-mex flavours.   Easy and quick to make too. 


1 (400g) tin of black beans, drained and rinsed (15 oz )
1 (400g) tin of chopped tomatoes in tomato juice, undrained (14 oz)
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 small green pepper, trimmed and seeds discarded, chopped
125ml of prepared tomato salsa (1/2 cup)
1 tsp mild chili powder (or according to your tastes)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
For the cheese filling:
250g of light ricotta cheese
1 small free range egg
1 tsp parsley flakes
1/8 tsp garlic powder
salt to taste
10 uncooked lasagne noodles
1/2 pound of a mix cheddar and mozzarella cheese, grated


 photo DSCN0662_zpsewyvmzat.jpg


Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F. gas mark 4.  Butter a 9 inch square deep baking dish.



Tip the beans into a bowl.  Mash lightly with a potato masher.  You still want some whole beans.   Stir in the tomatoes, onions, green pepper, salsa, chili powder, cumin and salt.   Mix well together and set aside.

 photo DSCN0660_zpsozawuyqq.jpg


Whisk together the ricotta cheese, egg, garlic powder, salt and parsley flakes.

Spread a bit of the tomato mixture in the bottom of the baking dish.   Top with half of the noodles, allowing some of them to overlap.   Top with half of the remaining tomato mixture.  Spread all of the ricotta mixture over top of the tomato and bean mixture.  Sprinkle on 1/2 of the cheese.  Top with the remaining noodles, again allowing them to overlap.  Top with the remaining tomato/bean mixture.

  photo DSCN0658_zpsrcupdz1l.jpg

Cover with the rest of the cheese.  Lightly grease a sheet of foil wrap.  Cover the casserole, greased side down.   Bake in the oven for 35 minutes.  Uncover and bake for 10 to 15 minutes longer, until the noodles are tender and the mixture is golden.   Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting into squares to serve.


7 comments

  1. I love lasagbas..I have a very similar recipe and it has been YEARs..since I have made it....I should:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew what you meant Monique! You should make yours. I would LOVE to see it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It wasn't bad Valerie, but with a few changes it would be even better! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I was looking for measurement conversions when I found your blog. I now have you bookmarked! Tonight's supper, black bean lasagna!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!