Greek Roasted Peppers

Monday 19 October 2015

 photo DSCN3380_zpsmcqseshg.jpg

Controlling how much you eat can be as large a challenge as deciding what to eat can be when you are trying to control diabetes and eat smarter.  At first it can seem a bit daunting, but with time and understanding it becomes a bit easier . . .  the changes almost become  seamless part of your life.   What to put into your shopping card . . .  how to count carbs, downsizing servings, etc.   all are steps towards becoming a healthier person.

  photo DSCN3381_zpsdxq7nppp.jpg

Sometimes how much you eat can be as much of a challenge as trying to decide what to eat, which in and of itself can be quite daunting.   I've come up with a few tips that I have found very helpful on this journey so far, along with a delicious, light and healthy lunch recipe!

 photo DSCN3382_zpsejqjm1y3.jpg

Just switching to a smaller plate can be a huge help.   We have huge dinner plates and smaller "sandwich" plates.  The smaller ones are a good 9 inches in diameter, which is still plenty big.  Placing smaller portions on a smaller plate doesn't make it seem so much like you are eating less.  Smaller serving utensils also help!

  photo DSCN3383_zpsjcgtfmh5.jpg

Keeping serving dishes off the table also helps.  It removes the temptation to keep helping yourself.  It's been actually proven that if you place a large bowl of pasta on the table (for instance) men will eat 20 percent more and women 10 percent more than when the bowl isn't nearby.  Who knew?  You can fool yourself by using smaller taller glasses as well, when it comes to drinking liquids.  It is a bit of an optical illusion I suppose . . .  tricking your brain into thinking you are having more when you are actually having less, hence replacing the feeling of deprivation with the feeling of abundance!

 photo DSCN3384_zpstgluwjos.jpg

It also helps to keep really hard to resist foods just out of the house altogether.  If it isn't there . . .  you can't eat it.   It can be hard at first . . .  you still want the cookies and the chocolate and the potato chips . . .  but you soon find yourself replacing those urges with eating an apple or some other healthy option.  And in all truth after a couple of weeks, you don't really find yourself thinking overly much about the cookies, the chocolate of the potato chips anyways!  That's what has been working for me at any rate anyways, and I find myself one month later down a full stone of weight (14 pounds), which just goes to show you how much I was eating of the things I shouldn't have been eating.

  photo DSCN3385_zpsb8x6zm2v.jpg

I quite often would bake myself a frozen mini pizza for my lunch for instance . . .  the other day however I baked us some of these lovely Greek Roasted Peppers as a healthy lunch time option and in all truth they were every bit as tasty as a pizza would have been . . .  minus that high carb crust.  We both really enjoyed these.  Tender roasted peppers with black olives, cherry tomatoes and some feta cheese nestled inside.   Yummo! I hardly missed the crust at all.

 photo DSCN3386_zpseti2m6wi.jpg


*Greek Roasted Peppers*
Serves 2
 

Simple and delicious.  You could have a slice of crusty bread with this to sop up all of these delicious juices. 
 

2 sweet bell peppers, halved and deseeded (I used yellow and red)
12 cherry tomatoes
8 pitted black olives
50g of feta cheese, crumbled  (6 TBS)
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp fresh oregano
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste 
 

Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.  Place the peppers onto a baking tray, cut side up.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.   Divide the tomatoes and olives between the peppers, placing them into the cavities.  Sprinkle with the feta cheese and oregano.   Drizzle with olive oil.  Bake for 30 minutes until the peppers are tender. 
 

Calories: 162
Carbs:  12.5g
Protein: 6.5g
11.5g sugars
3 portions of fruit and vegetables

10 comments

  1. Like a greek salad in a beautiful edible bowl:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been following a low-carb diet for about two weeks and am finding it very boring. Your postings are very helpful. I'm traveling this week and it's a especially hard when restaurants menus have so many wonderful enticements. Finding I have to put blinders on when I see the food served around me. it's hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that I am able to help you Susan! Eating out is the worst! Just try to be strong. Stay away from fried foods, ask for your dressings on the side, etc. You can do it! xo

      Delete
  3. I just found your blog and already love it....these are all the ingredients I always keep on hand. Thank you for posting this...and I'll be reading more..now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hope! So happy to have you on board! I hope you enjoy most of what I post! xo

      Delete
  4. This made a lovely, light lunch today. I didn't have crusty bread, but instead made up some couscous and mixed in the olives, feta, cherry tomatoes, a couple of chopped sun-dried tomatoes and some sliced baby champignons before spooning it into the halved peppers. A sprinkling of parsley as they came out of the oven and we had a tasty lunch with a green salad on the side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that does sound very nice with the couscous Marie! Love your additions of the sun-dried tomatoes and baby champignons as well. What a delicious combination! Thanks Marie! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!