Leona's Crumb Cake

Friday 22 April 2016

 photo DSCN6517_zpsxtrewugw.jpg

 I think I have mentioned my good friend Leona before on here.  It was back on the 22nd of November, in 1981 that I met Leona at a Bingo game on the base my then husband had just been posted to. (London, Ontario in Canada)  I was heavily pregnant with my middle son at the time, and Leona was one of the first people I met along with a great gal named Debbie, who just happened to live down the street from me.  I will never forget that night because Debbie said if I went into labor she would watch my other three children until my sister arrived to take over.  Little did any of us know but the very next night I went into labor and the rest is history.

  photo DSCN6518_zpszh4i5ebl.jpg

The three of us became fast friends during our stay in London and shared many a meal and recipe with each other.  Leona was a fair bit older than myself and so she was a tiny bit like a mother to me.  She was and is a great cook.  She's in her late 70's now and still cooking!

 photo DSCN6520_zpspq4yntic.jpg

This was her cake recipe and its a wonderful recipe. The whole thing starts off as a crumb mixture you make, then it gets divided and a portion of it has eggs, etc beaten into it to form the base, and the remainder gets sprinkled on top before baking.

 photo DSCN6521_zpshymjqeh0.jpg

The end result is a beautiful cake with a buttery moist base and a moreish cinnamon flavoured crumble topping, that goes really well with cream, ice cream or whipped cream.  It's great served warm as a dessert, or cold with a nice warm drink or glass of milk.

  photo DSCN6523_zps7vvnztyn.jpg

I never make this cake without thinking about Leona and remembering all the fun times we had together.    Its been a favourite in my family for over 35 years now and I think it will become a favourite in yours as well!

 photo DSCN6524_zpssnvvwns9.jpg

  *Leona's Crumb Cake*
Makes one 9 inch square cake
Printable Recipe


Delicious cake that is fabulous as a dessert, served warm with some ice cream on the side, or as a great brunchtime coffee cake!


2 cups light brown sugar (packed) (440g)
2 cups sifted all purpose flour (280g)
1/2 cup butter (4 ounces)
1 large free range egg
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup of sour milk or buttermilk (250ml)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
cinnamon (about 1/2 tsp)


Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F.  Butter and flour a 9 inch square baking pan.  Set aside.


Combine the brown sugar, flour and butter in a large bowl, rubbing in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.  Remove 1 cup (170g) of the crumbs and set aside for later.


Beat the eg lightly and add to the remaining crumbs.  Dissolve the soda in the milk and then add along with the salt, and vanilla.  Beat the mixture only until smooth.  Spread into the prepared baking pan.  Sprinkle the reserved crumbs evenly over top.  Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.


Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.


Cool in pan on a rack.  Cut into squares to serve.

 photo DSCN6527_zps7qfvxixo.jpg

This is the perfect cake to enjoy for a delicious brunch with your family at the weekend.   Bon Appetit!

4 comments

  1. I bet it is so good..like all your other recipes marie..nice memories..nice friend:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn! This wasn't supposed to post until tomorrow, oh well, you get to see tomorrow's post a day early. Don't you love the internet! haha

      Delete
  2. This looks so much like the shoo-fly cake I make, except I use molasses in place of the buttermilk. I am from Pennsylvania Dutch country, but ended up in KY to be near our daughter and her family in our retirement years. I really enjoy being a "southerner", too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Happy, they may have similar roots! This is a great cake! Maybe you will give it a go sometime! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!